Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: looking to start riding
UK Bike Forum > Rider help > FAQ
Jackal
Hi everyone new to the forum but been reading alot of post but most of them were old post so wasan't to sure on the current laws.

I'm 18 and looking to get a 125cc. What bhp do the bikes have to be limited to 33bhp? because i been looking at Apillia RS125's which is 33bhp but i was reading somewhere the law has to be limited to 14/15 bhp?

Do i just have to do a CBT test and then i'm able to ride on the road or is there a theory test or something like when you do a driving test. Am i allowed to ride a bike before a cbt to pratice?

how much money should i be spending on my first bike i was looking at Apillia Rs125 and a half decent one was going for about 1500 and got a insurance quote 1200-2000 i think that seems alot or not?

Thanks, Jackal
Aidan8888
CBT- Allows you to ride a 125 for 2 years, and yes if you get a RS it will have to have not been de-restricted, and its something the police will be clued up on. After you complete the course (hopefully) you can ride on the road given you have insurance (and mot and tax obviously). You won't need to practice before a CBT, most people will have never ridden a bike before.

EDIT- The 33 BHP restriction is for those that have passed there test, and have to ride for two years on 33bhp, if under 21.
Jackal
QUOTE(Aidan8888 @ Apr 4 2010, 12:18 AM) *

CBT- Allows you to ride a 125 for 2 years, and yes if you get a RS it will have to have not been de-restricted, and its something the police will be clued up on. After you complete the course (hopefully) you can ride on the road given you have insurance (and mot and tax obviously). You won't need to practice before a CBT, most people will have never ridden a bike before.

EDIT- The 33 BHP restriction is for those that have passed there test, and have to ride for two years on 33bhp, if under 21.

so i can ride a 33bhp when i done my cbt or i have to ride a bike for two years then i can ride 33bhp? or what i didn't quite understand

do you have to do a theory or just a cbt? then can do on road
Aidan8888
You just need to do a CBT to ride on L plates on the road, you only have to do your theory if you want to go for your test later.

With your CBT you can ride a 125 up to a certain power 14.6 BHP I think. So you will need to keep an eye out for a Aprilla RS that hasn't been "de-restricted".

The two year rule is if you pass your test, at your age. If you were to pass your test you can ride a bike up to 33 BHP for to years. So that would mean you could ride a derestricted RS if you wanted to go down that route. Then in two years you could get a "big bike" over 33 BHP.
Defiler
QUOTE(Aidan8888 @ Apr 4 2010, 03:37 AM) *

You just need to do a CBT to ride on L plates on the road, you only have to do your theory if you want to go So that would mean you could ride a derestricted RS if you wanted to go down that route.

This needs a little clarification. If you do the restricted test you're limited to a maximum of 33bhp, but there is *also* a power/weight limit. Even though a derestricted RS125 meets the horsepower regulation, it does *not* meet the power/weight limit. You'd still have to ride it restricted for the two years. Same goes for the Cagive Mito 125, I think.

Once you're over 21 you can go for DAS (the big-bike test) you can ride the derestricted RS125, but then you can also jump on *any* big bike you please, so that sort of defeats the point of derestricting the little machine.

For my 2p, the RS125 is a great little machine, but entirely not worth owning. Cool wee bikes, but fragile, expensive, underpowered for a derestricted license, and illegal for a restricted license (unless you keep the machine restricted which makes it no more powerful than any other 125 machine).

Anyway, I'm rambling just now but I hope that makes some sense.
Jackal
im 5 foot 8 17 stone blush21.gif i take it it doesn't take the person on the bike into account on power to weight?

what bikes should i be looking at?
955i
May not be what you want to hear, but for a first bike get something solid, reliable and with cheap and plentiful parts such as a CG or CB 125.

May not be flashy, but a good solid base to learn your roadcraft on and before you know it you would be looking to move to a larger machine, making spending a lot of cash on your 125 a bit reduntant in my opinion.

Good luck with whatever you decide and welcome to the forum beer.gif
Jackal
Hello peeps it's me again still not riding yet.

anyway im 19 now and im looking to get a bike to get to work..

so basically all i need to do is get my cbt done right?

then i can ride a 125cc but has to be 33bhp because i havan't riden for 2 years?

so i something cheap really as a learner bike / get to work. I don't like the look of the CG or CB 125 any suggestions thanks
Fourtoes
I think your a little limited in the style stakes for 125s.

If you want cheap and reliable then Honda cb125, cg125, cm125 or Yamaha SR125 etc.

Sorry. The again I'm not totally up to date on new/modern 125's but then they aint gonna be cheap are they. Unless fecked.
Defiler
QUOTE(Jackal @ Feb 14 2011, 01:36 PM) *

so basically all i need to do is get my cbt done right?

then i can ride a 125cc but has to be 33bhp because i havan't riden for 2 years?

Wrong. If you do your CBT you can ride a 125 of up to around 13bhp. On L-plates.

Then you can take lessons and work towards doing your test. I wouldn't suggest you go blindly onto the road after just a CBT without a little extra direction, but that's just me, and that's after seeing some of the clown-shoes out there on 125s.

To do your test there's currently a theory exam, and then there's the classic "bike test" out on the road. Once you have pass certificates for both of those you can send them away for your full (restricted) license which will let you ride any bike under 33bhp (and under a certain power/weight ratio, but I don't know those figures).

After you've held a full (restricted) license for a couple of years you'll be upgraded to an unrestricted license.

As far as I know, any 4-stroke 125 on the market will be valid for riding after a CBT, with L-plates.
Jackal
Ok Thanks

What about a Yamaha DT / DTX / DTR125 / Honda XR 125
Van Van looks more like the style of cb/cbr

also need something that would be good in rain aswell beause wont be just using in good weather.

Thanks
Fourtoes
Anth (member on here) used to have a Van Van. Cant comment on the other bikes.

And they all work in the rain....most of the time.
Mally
honda varardo 125
devilpaint
or even a Honda varadero lbhh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.