Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crash Helmet "NOISY/Quite...)
UK Bike Forum > General > Bike Chat
HarleyBoy
I have an Arai Crash Helmet which is an excellent fit and really comfortable, except for the level of Wind Noise. The helmet has great ventilation, however the vents are also the cause of the noise. I have tried to use ear plugs but have trouble getting them to stay in, as they expand and pop out prior to getting the helmet on.

Any views on wind noise reduction devices or Full Face Crash Helmets that offer excellent Protection/Comfort with the added bonus of tranquility...? I am looking for LEXUS standards of noise reduction..........
ancientd
Ear plugs are the only way to reduce in helmet noise, either that or buy a quiet helmet, the quietest and lightest I've come accross was made buy Uvex, it was quite aerodynamic and also had the least wind resistance of any helmet that I've ever owned. Haven't seen them advertised for a long while though.
Ian
I use these http://www.earplugsonline.com/ soft and mouldable to your ears so make a good seal. Never had them fall out and blocked out the snoring of 10 other blokes in our hostel at the NW200!
bikerdave
I use ear plugs as well. You have to make sure they are well inserted. Roll them into a thin tube and push them well into the ear. Most of the plug should be well into the ear.
MickyWiz
Or try a different type, these guys do a selection pack so you can see what type suits your ears best.

http://www.earplugs.gb.com/
devilpaint
any helmet with vents will be noisy-some more than others, also you have to take into account any fairing/screen turbulance as well.
ear plugs if used properly shouldnt fall out-you're not putting it in far enough

DP waits for the filty minded section to start cat calling lbhh.gif
Paracaine
I have got some ear plugs but I am scared to use them...what if I put them into my ear too far and they get stuck?
Mot
You will have very bad hearing for the next 60 years that's what lbhh.gif
Mot
But seriously ear plugs are the way to go I SAID EARPLUGS tounge1.gif

A neck tube or scarf can also cut down noise a bit... Arai are well known for being noisy..

Roof are supposed to be good Shoei are quieter but by how much ?

A screen can also help grin.gif
ancientd
I find a pair of tweezers or needle nose pliers very useful for removing plugs that have gone in a little too far, so far I've never had a problem getting them out, I understand you can also get plugs with a length of thread between them to make removal much easier.
Michael
Yeah, foam type plugs are the best. Unless you have massive ear canals they won't "fall in".

Give them a few seconds to expand before putting your lid on. You can tell when they are working because you won't hear a fecking thing...
Roddas
try

.earplugs.gb.com

I think you can have made to measure ones for the ultimate confort and noise reduction........

other than that,, only go out on very still days and stay bellow 30mph,, grin.gif lbhh.gif

eyebrow.gif
Paracaine
I might just use my 'in-ear' noise cancelling headphones with no music.
Fazerstun
My doctor told me that the only thing you should put in your ear is your elbow wwww.gif
Mot
Righty ho then I'll give it a go

owww ummmph crack ooohh arhhh grind grrrrr....... squelch wwww.gif

it's in not very comfy though tounge1.gif
Peter1474
QUOTE(set fazer to stun @ Jul 10 2005, 09:16 AM)
My doctor told me that the only thing you should put in your ear is your elbow  wwww.gif

Quite partial to a bit of tongue myself lbhh.gif

I'm going to have to wear earplugs, my singing is minging in a helmet. Probably minging at any time (well I know it is) but it even does my head in on the bike. lbhh.gif

I have to watch my shouting though, questioned one cagers parents marriage at 75mph, numpty looked right at me and mouthed 'watch did you say' ooh2.gif

Must have been my very best Sgt Major's tones.
TriNode
I like to hear the squeals of brakes behind me when i'm waiting at traffic lights..... I'm too paranoid for ear plugs...
Billy M
QUOTE(Mot @ Jul 9 2005, 05:55 PM)
But seriously ear plugs are the way to go I SAID EARPLUGS  tounge1.gif

A neck tube or scarf can also cut down noise a bit... Arai are well known for being noisy..

Roof are supposed to be good Shoei are quieter but by how much ?

A screen can also help  grin.gif

I have a shoei raid and don't experience any wind noise at all, for my other lids i have a set of moulded ear plugs, had them made when we were fitted for earplugs at work, got them cheeper too bum.gif
Michael
QUOTE(anthonyg @ Jul 11 2005, 11:34 AM)
I like to hear the squeals of brakes behind me when i'm waiting at traffic lights.....

On the motorway?! wwww.gif

Seriously, they are blardy magnificent for saving your lug 'oles on the Mway, but it freaks me out when you hit the city and you need to hear the traffic around you.
TriNode
Ah, motorways... don't do them yet smile1.gif

They need reactions lenses, only for ears...
Paracaine
QUOTE(anthonyg @ Jul 11 2005, 05:26 PM)
They need reactions lenses, only for ears...

Lmao!
Mot
QUOTE(chili @ Jul 11 2005, 11:47 AM)
I have a shoei raid and don't experience any wind noise at all, for my other lids i have a set of moulded ear plugs, had them made when we were fitted for earplugs at work, got them cheeper too bum.gif

Yup I've got a raid too and find it really good but not having tested loads of lids couldn't have said wether it was better or worse than them Oo1.gif
snapdragon
QUOTE(Paracaine @ Jul 9 2005, 05:34 PM)
I have got some ear plugs but I am scared to use them...what if I put them into my ear too far and they get stuck?

you can get them with a "lead" between them so you have a string to pull 'em out with.

I don't wear them, as yet i havent found any that fit, I think my ears have shrunk with trying to ignore kids, dogs and other 'arf.

My RooF lid is quite quiet, only severe road noise (Motorways etc) gets to me
tifosi
If you go HERE
you will see a link to a quite comprehensive helmet survey, one of the categories being noise.

My lid (Arai RX7 Corsair) is not the quietest with all the vents (which work very well btw), but it's bloody comfortable so I'll just use earplugs on the motorway.
Ace
QUOTE(snapdragon @ Jul 11 2005, 09:52 PM)
My RooF lid is quite quiet, only severe road noise (Motorways etc) gets to me

I'll second that, my roof R010 is pretty good noise wise. my Bieffe naked is good too. but niether have protruding vents or dafty fins.

Your jacket can cause wind noise too, the collar can cause turbulance in the gap between the helmet and the collar therefore increseing buffeting etc.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.